Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Trip to the C & O Canal

My human sister thought it might be fun to try to find the C & O Canal that goes along Potomac River, which is about 20 minutes from where we live.  So we parked the car at Blockhouse Point Conservation Park, and walked down a trail that was supposed to lead us to the Potomac River.

The trail was a little longer than we thought, but there were plenty of things to smell and lots of grass to eat while my human wasn't looking.


And then we finally saw it!


We were so excited to down to the river, but unfortunately, there was a small creek between us and the actual trail with no bridge in between.  We went around trying to look for a bridge, but then my human got stuck in the mud!!  I didn't try to help her because I wanted her to learn some survival skills, but I also didn't run away even when she let go of my leash.  She was stuck knee-deep in the mud, and she was finally able to pull her legs out by leaving her shoes in the mud holes.  She had to reach into the holes to dig her shoes back out, but at that point her socks, jacket, phone, pants, and shoes were all very muddy, and she was NOT happy.  But who needs shoes anyway?  Woo didn't see me sinking in the mud!!

After my human finally got her shoes back on, we went splashing across the creek so we could walk the trail and not go home without having seen anything.  The scenery was enough to put my human back in her good mood.  Check out these pics!  To the left of us was the Potomac River, and to the right was the creek we crossed.



We saw some goose friends hanging out at the Potomac River as well.

The human tried to take pictures of me while I was sitting on a ledge, but I wasn't so keen on that idea.  This was her best shot of me.

We didn't get to walk for too long on the trail because it was about to get dark, but on our walk back to the car, we saw ducks, a woodpecker, and a blue heron!  My human also thought it was worth getting stuck in the mud.  I hope we get to go back soon (no mud traps next time, I promise!).

1 comment:

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

We looked up the C & O Canal because Dad doesn't live too far from the Potomac and we discovered it's 184 miles long, according to Wikipedia. Did you go the whole way? You must have been very tired! :-)

Steve